Q – Do I have to be nominated to apply to WDMLA?
A – While nominations definitely help a person with the process of applying, they are not required.
Q– Do have to live in West Des Moines to apply?
A – The West Des Moines Leadership Academy is for anyone who lives, works or plays in West Des Moines. Anyone who is interested in the success of West Des Moines is encouraged to apply.
Q – What does the price include?
A– You will receive
• over 30 hours of leadership training over the course of 9 classes;
• an enhanced understanding and appreciation of community strengths, needs, and prospects;
• the opportunity to build solid relationships with approximately 30 other students, 17 board members, and more than 150 alumni
• the opportunity to engage with numerous community leaders from West Des Moines schools, government, non-profits, health care entities, and more; and
• the chance to make a real difference in the West Des Moines community via an organized class project.
Q – What makes WDMLA different?
A – The program was developed with the intention of building leaders in the WDM area. Each of the classes has an educational session that adds to the participant’s knowledge about a specific topic or area of community activity PLUS a leadership skill development component. Situational leadership, conflict management, poverty simulations, team building, coaching, personal branding and speaking for success are just a few of the leadership skills you will learn or improve upon.